Thursday, October 3, 2013

Visiting the Ancestral Home in Germany

Yesterday, I visited the home and inn in Allendorf bei Frankenau Germany that was once owned by my great great grandfather Johann Daniel Krähling. His son, my great grandfather Conrad Krähling, emigrated to the United States in 1865, at the age of 19.
The timing of his emigration was fortunate as the American Civil War had just ended, and Germany was about to go to war with France. Luckily Conrad did not have to be involved in either of these conflicts.
Conrad arrived in Baltimore in September of 1865 and then worked for two years at a bakery in Washington DC in order to repay his uncle for his travel expenses. This must have been a tumultuous time in Washington, as it was only five months after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Amazingly, my father - who is still living, spent time with Conrad (his grandfather) who was a contemporary of both the brothers Grimm (who lived in the same part of Germany) and Lincoln.
In the family photo, you can see Conrad Krahling surrounded by his family at their home in Iowa. In the front row on the right (with the stylish striped knickers) is my grandfather, William August Krahling.



3 comments:

  1. LOVE that family photo. How fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark K. I am a decendant of that Uncle, your Great Grandfather, travelled with. I came across this post in my search of information. My 3rd great grandfather was Conrad Krahling (born 1815), I assume Johann Daniel Krähling's brother. My family owned that bakery in DC. All the best and love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting to hear from you, Mike! According to my family information, the uncle might have been Johann Daniel Krahling's brother, but it also might have been his wife's brother. The confusion comes because Johann Daniel married a woman who was already a Krahling and - to make matters even more confusing - when she passed away, he married her sister. You can contact me through ancestry.com so we can continue this discussion.

    ReplyDelete