Tuesday, October 2, 2012

All Roads Lead to the Hotel Ivanhoe

When I was in high school I was fortunate enough to travel to Rome during Easter week of my senior year. We stayed at the Hotel Ivanhoe which, as it turns out, is a half block away from where I'm staying this time. Yesterday, I dropped by to visit and as I explained to the desk clerk that I had stayed there previously (42 years ago!) an American hotel guest overheard me and we began a conversation. It turns out that she's from San Rafael and lives in a Victorian house on Fifth Street across from Cake Art and is in fact the owner of Henry, an ivy elephant that arches over the sidewalk in front of her house, that locals are very familiar with. My sister even knows her from her cafe (Sally's in SF) and because my sister used to work for her son-in-law. Lots of coincidences going on here! By the way, is it just me or does Ivanhoe seem like an odd name choice for a Roman hotel?

2 comments:

  1. So where are you staying? I'm looking for hotel recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is some pretty small world stuff there.

    ReplyDelete