Monday, October 1, 2012

Passing the Colosseum on the way to dinner

I arrived in Rome at about 4:00 this afternoon and, despite severe jet lag, couldn't wait to get out and walk around. That's one of my favorite things to do - just jump into a foreign city and wander, when it still feels surreal that you're there. I was making my way to a restaurant that a friend had recommended when I looked off to the left and saw a slice of the Colosseum wedged between the buildings on either side of the street. The idea that a 2,000 year old building is part of the everyday cityscape is a foreign concept to this California boy.
I'm so excited to be here that I would probably pee my pants if I didn't have such a limited wardrobe on this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you arrived safely.....DL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you Mark. I know what you mean. I am doing the same thing every day. The joy doesn't wear off. Looking forward to following along on your journey! Andiamo!

    ReplyDelete